Corporate entry: Honiara Town Council
Honiara had a Town Council that controlled development and dealt with public health and other social issues, although always closely directed by the Protectorate Government. A six-man Honiara Town Board was established in the late 1940s. The present-day Honiara Town Council was created between 1956 and 1958. The Town Council was constituted under the 1957 Town Council Ordinance by a warrant issued by the High Commissioner on 1 March 1958, although the first full elections were not held until 1969. All early members of the Council were appointed by the High Commissioner, with one member each supplied from the Departments of the District Commissioner Central, Public Works, Lands and Survey and Medical. District Commissioner Central D. G. Cudmore was the first Chairman of the Council, and the first indigenous members were Alphonso Daga (q.v.), Jesimiel Afia (q.v.), and J. Tamana. The Council had specific responsibilities and duties to pass byelaws, which required approval, but it had only limited powers to raise revenue and relied on an annual subvention from the Protectorate Government. The District Officer for Honiara served as the Council's Executive Officer, with duties similar to those of a Clerk of Council. A town plan was begun and completed in 1962. A new Town Council Ordinance was introduced in 1968 that allowed for future elections, along with a core of appointed members. This was followed by the Honiara Town Council (Constitution of Wards) Order 1969, which created twelve wards.
After the 1969 elections for the Town Council wards there were twelve elected members, three nominated members and the District Commissioner Central was an ex-officio member. The new Council members were: Lily Poznanski (q.v.) (Nggosi), Dr R. B. Thompson (Mburumburu), Ron Lawson (Rove-Lenggakiki), Rose Dettke (Point Cruz), Peter Smith (Vavaea), Peter Salaka (q.v.) (Vuhokesa), D. Chinn (Matanikau), John Lee (Kola'a), Stephen Sipolo Jr. (q.v.) (Kukum), Gordon Billy Gatu (q.v.) (Naha), C. H. Cheng (q.v.) (Vura) and J. Kari (Panatina). The High Commissioner appointed Mr Sheehan, a Surveyor from the Land Department, Mr Dunn, Chief Health Inspector and Mr MacNaughton, acting Deputy Director of Public Works. (NS Mar. 1958, 31 Mar. 1969, 30 Sept. 1969) The budget was $121,000, of which only $11,000 came from a service tax. The main expenditure was on capital works.
The Council had created four new junior primary schools to cater to the new housing estates at White River, Mbokonavera, Tururuhu and Vura. Three more were planned for Rove, Loloale and near the Training College in Kukum. (NS Mar. 1958, 31 Oct. 1971; AR 1958-1959, 63-64) In 1969, the Council took responsibility for the provision of junior primary education in Honiara. Tuvaruhu School and White River School were started in the same year, Mbokonavera School in 1970, Vura School in 1971, and Koloale School in 1973. The Kukum foreshore was cleared and made into a park for public use, and the Botanic Gardens were vested in the Council in 1971; an orchid house was established there. In 1974, the Council revenue was $339,000 and expenditure was $200,000, spent mainly on public health and education, and the construction of a public market and an abattoir. (AR 1974, 148)
- British Solomon Islands Protectorate (ed.), British Solomon Islands Protectorate News Sheet (NS), 1955-1975. Details
- British Solomon Islands Protectorate, British Solomon Islands Protectorate Annual Reports (AR), 1896-1973. Details