Biographical entry: Lawson, Eric V.
Eric V. Lawson was a Honiara businessman trading as E. V. Lawson Pty. Ltd., who was also deeply involved in local affairs. He arrived in Honiara in 1947 as Manager of the government's Trade Scheme, which later became the British Solomons Trading Company. Next, he became Manager of the Fairymead Sugar Company's (q.v.) copra plantations at Russell Islands, and Secretary-Manager of the Copra Board. He began his own company in 1955. He was a member of the Legislative Council (q.v.) from 1960 to 1966. In 1974 he retired to Brisbane in Queensland and his own company was taken over by C. Sullivan Export Ltd. Lawson was instrumental in creating the first sports oval in Honiara (thus called Lawson Tama) and served on the Honiara Town Advisory Board from 1948. He was later on the Honiara Town Council (q.v.), and served as its Vice-President for eight years before he retired in 1969. Lawson received an O.B.E. for his services to the community. (SND 11 July 1975)
- Solomons News Drum, 1974-1982. Details